Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Whales-of-War - Spelling Bee Words List: Second Grade Advanced, Third Grade Intermediate, Fourth Grade Beginning

You may already know about my canary named Chicken. Yes, a canary, not a chicken, named Chicken. Chicken had a habit learned from his mother to go along in my pocket to every destination. Our friendship was profound, and I was ever grateful for the companionship of Chicken, but I digress. This is not a story about Chicken, he was simply along for the ride.

My neighbor and I were on our way to a convention Friday afternoon, a special gathering of foreign dignitaries, when we witnessed an event of important note. This strange event, a mixture of the remarkable and ordinary, struck us as odd.

My daughter was a government attorney (much in need of a vacation) who specialized in the exercise of justice in the military. Last week she introduced some evidence that brought into question the ethical treatment of a squadron of whales-of-war, when her legal teammate stood with an objection. It was strange, seeing as how they were on the same side, that her partner would address the court in objection to her case, but that is exactly what he did, saying “Sir, your honor, let me explain. These whales-of-war can have no justice, because they each are a machine, not alive at all.”

Back to the event at hand, my daughter was finally enjoying her much needed vacation as my neighbor and I were on our way to the convention. As we were floating above Main Street in our family’s hot air balloon, we saw what looked like a whale sliding along the street below us. As we watched more closely, we noticed my daughter, running hand-in-hand with a fellow, turn suddenly into a blind alley.

The whale looking creature attempted to quickly change direction to follow, but as one can imagine it must be difficult to suddenly change the direction of that much mass as it is sliding along dry land. The whale-lookalike careened wildly into a kitchen supply store at the alley’s corner, smashing a good deal of deep frying equipment (such a tragedy).

My neighbor expressed concern about my daughter’s potential fatigue, and we quickly set the balloon down in the middle of the street to assist. An ignorant driver shot us a dirty stare as he slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting us, and my neighbor turned to the driver wielding a gigantic pair of scissors. I have no idea from where he pulled the scissors, but my bewilderment turned to relief when he disassembled the scissors and handed half to me.

In pursuit of the whale-lookalike, a giant, half-scissors shaped sword in each of our hands, we must have been a strange sight to all on Main Street. The whale-lookalike finally pulled the rest of its body from the kitchen supply store with a vacuum cleaner stuck in its blowhole. Suddenly with a strange shimmer in the air, we found ourselves mysteriously transported to another place. We appeared to be on top of a great mountain with a grassy prairie on all sides.

With a mighty rumble, a great earthquake shook the mountain. Just as we were sure a relentless rockslide was going to wipe us down to the prairie, the whale-lookalike slid down the mountain into our scissors-swords. With a giant crackle and a wisp of smoke, the whale-lookalike disappeared from our sight. My daughter, just ahead and safe, turned to us in relief.

As I opened my mouth to question her, we three were suddenly thrust back into our balloon on Main Street. We must have caused quite the commotion as there were a vast number of cars and pedestrians surrounding us on all sides. With Chicken in my pocket, a scissors-sword in hand, and both neighbor and daughter in tow, we raised back into the air. Turning once more to my daughter, I heard her say to my neighbor, “It is now time for your true education.”

Check out these word search and word unscramble worksheets for the first group of eighteen words and the second group of eighteen words.

SPELLING LIST 2nd Grade - Advanced Words | 3rd Grade - Intermediate Words | 4th Grade - Beginning Words
mountain
grateful
objection
daughter
neighbor
balloon
friendship
question
earthquake
squadron
machine
prairie
teammate
because
address
exercise
foreign
chicken
explain
vacuum
vacation
fatigue
education
ignorant
kitchen
mixture
important
special
convention
attorney
equipment
afternoon
government
justice
evidence
scissors

See some other word lists:
Second Grade Beginning Intermediate Advanced Challenge
Third Grade Beginning Intermediate Advanced Challenge
Fourth Grade Beginning Intermediate Advanced Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment